Awards & Scholarships available through Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky, Zonta International District 5 and Zonta International:
- Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky awards four college scholarships – $1,000.00 each – each year to Erie, Huron and Ottawa County, Ohio, high school female seniors planning to major in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) education or various fields of medicine who meet high academic standards.
- Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky awards a non-traditional adult woman returning to an accredited school to upgrade her education for a better career. The Non-Traditional Scholarship is for any woman who is minimum 23 years old and resides in Erie, Huron, Ottawa or Sandusky counties in Ohio.
- In coordination with Zonta International and Zonta International District 5, Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky provides an award to Young Women in Public Affairs. The recipient of the local club’s award is then submitted to the District for consideration for the District award with the recipient of the District award then submitted for consideration for one of ten international awards. The award amounts: Club Award – $250.00; District 5 Award – $1,500.00; Zonta International Awards – $5,000.00 each.
- In coordination with Zonta International and Zonta International District 5, Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky provides scholarships for young women going into the business field – The Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship. The program was established to encourage women to enter careers and to seek leadership positions in business. The program ultimately seeks to influence business decisions that positively affect women in executive positions in the field of business management. The Club finalist will be submitted to District 5 for consideration and then if selected as the district scholarship recipient, she will be submitted to Zonta International to be considered for one of six scholarships. The award amounts: District 5 Scholarship – $2,000.00; Zonta International Scholarships – $8,000.00 each.
- Zonta International supports the Women in Technology Scholarship to encourage women to pursue education, career opportunities and leadership roles in information technology. The Women in Technology Scholarships are awarded to women of any age and nationality, pursuing an information technology (IT) degree at an accredited university/college/institute, who demonstrate outstanding potential in the field. Online students may also apply if they meet the same requirements as outlined in the application. Zonta International will offer up to 20 scholarships of $8,000.00 each.
2021 Young Women in Public Affairs
Club-level Award Recipient:
Anna E. James – Edison High School
The goal of the YWPA award program is to encourage more young women to participate in public affairs by recognizing the student’s commitment to the volunteer sector, evidence of volunteer leadership achievements and a dedication to empowering women worldwide through service and advocacy. For more information about Anna and her future studies, please visit here. Congratulations Anna!
2021 High School
To be consistent with Zonta’s goals, the high school scholarships
are awarded to graduating seniors – young women –
who will be attending a college or university majoring
in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics field
or in various fields of medicine.
Twelve applications were received from Bellevue, Huron, Norwalk, Perkins, St. Mary’s Central Catholic and Western Reserve High Schools. Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky is pleased to announce the following students as recipients of the club’s 2021 High School Scholarships in the amount of $1,000.00 each.
Kailey N. Kilgore, daughter of Amy and Jason Kilgore of Bellevue, a Senior at Bellevue High School. Kailey’s honorswhile attending BHS include: Elks Academic Achievement Award 1-2-3, Distinguished Honor Roll, Honor Roll, Student of the Quarter and Friendliest Junior. Community and high school activities include R.E.S.I.S.T. Club President, Student Council President, Senior Class Vice President, RSVP Club, ROX Club, National Honor Society, Yearbook Club, Engineering Club, Softball and Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball Volunteer. Kailey plans to attend Bowling Green University Firelands, Huron, majoring in Biology Specialization Pre-Health.
Spencer F. Colish-Patrick, daughter of Carrie Patrick of Norwalk and Steve Colish of Mebane, NC, a Senior at Norwalk High School. Spencer’s honors while attending NHS include: Kiwanis Student of the Month Honor Roll, President List including All A’s Award. Community and high school activities include: Volunteer at Fisher-Titus Medical Center, Election Poll Worker in Huron County, Book Club, Culture Club President, French Club, Key Club, Chess Club, Drug Free Club of America, Youth Grant Making Council of Huron County, Volunteer of Huron County Humane Society, tutor, tennis and swim teams, Unity Club and Academic Challenge. Spencer plans to attend The Ohio State University, Columbus, majoring in Microbiology/Pre-Med and International Relations.
Octavia J. Schnittker, daughter of Barbara and Ronald Schnittker, Sandusky, a Senior at Perkins High School. Octavia’s honors while attending PHS include Ninth Congressional District Invitational Art Exhibition including HCR ManorCare Award 2018, Scholastic Art & Writing Awards including Honorable Mention (9th-10th grades), Firelands Audubon Society including Third Place (9th grade) and Honorable Mention (10th grade), Academic Letter (10th-12th grades), Wrestling Scholar Athlete (9th-12th grades), Football Scholar Athlete (11th-12th grades), Elks Student of the Month-January 2021, Ohio Lottery Academic Student of the Month-March 2021, Honor Roll every quarter throughout high school including All A’s, Academic Honors Diploma and Diploma of Distinction upon graduation. Community and high school activities include Mock Trial-Timekeeper (9th grade), Yearbook-Head Editor & Photographer (9th-12th grades), Varsity Wrestling-Mat Maid (9th-12th grades), Varsity Football-Manager (11th-12th grades), National Honor Society (11th-12th grades), Tap Dance-The Moving Co School of Dance (2012-2021), Tutoring PHS students (12th grade), Serving Our Seniors (9th-12th grades), Vacation Bible School (10th-11th grades), Swim lessons (10th grade), tutoring summer students (9th-10th grades) and assisting with Turkey Trot, Biddy Wrestling tournaments, PHS blood drives, Girl Scouts and concession stands. Octavia plans to attend Otterbein University, Westerville, double majoring in Business/Marketing and Sports Management.
Seton E. Buehrer, daughter of Amy Buehrer, Sandusky, and Jeffrey Buehrer, Sandusky, a Senior at Perkins High School. Seton’s honors while attending PHS include: Scholar Athlete Award, 3-year academic letter winner, 4-year Honor Roll National Honors Society and Track Team Captain. Community and high school activities include Bioclub, Aim for Excellence, Student Council, Move to Stand while volunteering for blood and canned food drives, trash pickups and dog walking at the local pound. Seton will attend The Ohio State University, Columbus, majoring in Biology.
2021 Jane M. Klausman
Women in Business Scholarship
Grace L. Gillen – Norwalk
Ohio Northern University
The Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarships is awarded to undergraduate women entering careers seeking leadership positions in business. The program ultimately seeks to influence business decisions that positively affect women by increasing the number of women in executive positions in the field of business management. Zonta International offers up to 32 scholarships of $2,000 each at the district level and six international scholarships in the amount of $8,000 each.
For more information about Grace and her future plans, please visit here. Congratulations Grace!
2021 Non-Traditional Student Scholarship
2021 Recipient – Tamie Rippon
The Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky Non-Traditional Student Scholarship is awarded to a
female student from Erie, Huron, Ottawa or Sandusky Counties in Ohio returning to
the classroom after some period of time in which her formal education was interrupted.
The female student must be enrolled in a 2-4 year undergraduate degree program
at a state or federal licensed college/university or vocational school.
Minimum age to apply for scholarship is 23 years.
For more information about Tamie and her future plans, please visit here! Congratulations Tamie!
2021 Women in Technology Scholarship
The world economy continues to leverage and build upon the digital revolution, and industry is becoming critically dependent on information technology. Further, these developments are increasingly disrupting society and familiar social processes. Women, however, are still largely underrepresented in decisions as they relate to information technology and how they impact our world now and into the future. To create a world in which men and women have equal opportunities, women need to have an active role in the field of information technology and access to leadership roles such as chief information officers (CIOs) and chief technology officers (CTOs). Zonta International is pleased to support the Zonta International Women in Technology Scholarship to encourage women to pursue education, career opportunities and leadership roles in information technology.
Women of any age and nationality, pursing an IT degree at an accredited
university/college/institute; demonstrated initiative, ambition and commitment
to pursuing a career in IT; enrolled by October 15, 2021, in at least the second year
of an undergraduate program through the final year of a post-graduate
program at the time application is submitted; must be in school at the time
scholarship funds are disbursed and must not graduate before April 2022.
See additional information included on application form.
Applicants apply directly to Zonta International.
The Zonta International Women in Technology Scholarship Committee reviews
applications and recommends up to 20 recipients to the Zonta International Board.
All applicants will be notified of their status by the end of April 2022.
The 2021 Zonta International Women in Technology Scholarship application
MUST be submitted by October 15, 2021 to be considered.
2021 – Women in Technology – Application – For Preparation Purposes ONLY
Hard copy and e-mail applications WILL NOT be accepted.
All applications submitted MUST be completed in English and
submitted by using the Zonta International online application form here.
Buckeye Girls State
We support a local representative of Buckeye Girls State each year.
Donating Time, Funds and Support
Safe Harbor Domestic Violence Shelter
Stein Hospice Camp Good Grief
Buddy Bench for local schools