If you should have questions about any of the scholarships offered below, please contact us:
* Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky, P.O. Box 1222, Sandusky 44871-1222
Awards & Scholarships available through Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky, Zonta International District 5 and Zonta International:
- In coordination with Zonta International and Zonta International District 5, Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky provides an award to Young Women in Public Affairs. Recipient must reside in Erie, Huron or Ottawa County, Ohio, studying at a secondary school, college or university. The recipient of the local club’s award is then submitted to the District for consideration for the District award with the recipient of the District award then submitted for consideration for one of 37 international awards. The award amounts available: Club Award – $250.00; Zonta International Awards – $5,000.00 each. DEADLINE: WEDNESDAY, MARCH 15, 2023
- Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky awards up to four college scholarships – $1,000.00 each – each year to Erie, Huron and Ottawa County, Ohio, high school female seniors planning to major in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) education or various fields of medicine who meet high academic standards. DEADLINE: SATURDAY, APRIL 1, 2023
- In coordination with Zonta International and Zonta International District 5, Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky will offer the Women in STEM Scholarship. Women of any age, pursuing a program in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) at an accredited university/college/institute, who demonstrate outstanding potential in the field and are living or studying in a Zonta district/region, are eligible. Online students are also eligible to apply if enrolled at an accredited university/college/institute. A single candidate from each of Zonta’s 31 districts and one region will receive an award of US$5,000 from Zonta International. DEADLINE: THURSDAY, JUNE 15, 2023
- Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky awards a non-traditional adult woman returning to an accredited school to improve and/or advance her education towards a better career. The Non-Traditional Scholarship is for any woman who is minimum 23 years of age and resides in Erie, Huron, Ottawa or Sandusky counties in Ohio. 2023 information will be posted soon.
- In coordination with Zonta International and Zonta International District 5, Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky provides scholarships for young women going into the business field – The Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship. Because Zonta International believes in gender equality, the Jane M. Klausman (JMK) Women in Business Scholarship program helps women pursue undergraduate and master’s degrees in business management and overcome gender barriers from the classroom to the boardroom. The Zonta Foundation for Women awarded the first Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarships in 1998 to women pursuing degrees in business leading to a business management career. Jane M. Klausman was a member of the Zonta Club of Syracuse, New York, USA, and the 1990-1995 Zonta International Parliamentarian. During her career, Ms. Klausman was a professional secretary, parliamentarian and entrepreneur. The program operates at the Zonta club, district/region and international levels. Zonta International offers 37 international scholarships of US$5,000 each. Zonta International District 5 provides a $2,000 award and Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky provides an award of US$500.00. The club award recipient is eligible for the District 5 award; if awarded the district scholarship, the recipient’s application is then eligible for one of the 37 international scholarships. 2023 information will be posted soon.
- The Amelia Earhart Fellowship was established in 1938 in honor of famed pilot and Zontian, Amelia Earhart. The US$10,000 Fellowship is awarded annually to up to 30 women pursuing Ph.D./doctoral degrees in aerospace engineering and space sciences. It may be used at any university or college offering accredited post-graduate courses and degrees in these fields. Since the program’s inception in 1938, Zonta International has awarded 1,704 Amelia Earhart Fellowships, totaling more than US$11.3 million, to 1,275 women from 76 countries. DEADLINE: TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2022 | PASSED
2023 Young Women in Public Affairs (YWPA)
Because Zonta International believes that young women are the key to women’s advancement in the field of public service, it offers the YWPA Award to young women for demonstrating leadership skills and commitment to public service and civic causes, encourages them to continue their participation in public and political life, and to support Zonta’s mission of empowering women worldwide through service and advocacy.
2023 – YWPA – Application
2023 – YWPA – Poster
2023 – YWPA – Background and Statistics
DEADLINE: WEDNESDAY, MARCH 15, 2023
2022 Club-level Award Recipient: Elle L. Whelan – Sandusky High School
Committed to attending Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, Elle will be majoring in Energy Engineering with her long-term goals to help make a change in the way we live by not only advocating for sustainability, but also expanding the use of renewable energy. Thus, she will play a part in preserving the planet for generations to come. Her leadership roles include president of the 4-H club, vice-president of the student council and captain of the varsity swim team. Elle also has organized a multitude of volunteer activities as well as participated in community service events such as cleaning up local parks, visiting local retirement homes, teaching swim lessons, coaching biddy volleyball, reading to elementary schools, American Red Cross blood drives, visiting the homeless shelter and many donations of food and clothes to Victory Kitchen. Congratulations and Good Luck Elle!
Please visit here to read the news release.
2023 High School Scholarship
To be consistent with Zonta’s goals, the high school scholarships
are awarded to graduating seniors – young women –
who will be attending a college or university majoring
in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics field
or in various fields of medicine.
2023 High School Scholarship – Application
2023 – High School Scholarship – Poster
DEADLINE: SATURDAY, APRIL 1, 2023
2023 High School Scholarship Recipients:
Fifteen applications were received from Bellevue, Edison, Norwalk, Norwalk St. Paul, Perkins, Sandusky, Sandusky Central Catholic and Vermilion High Schools. Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky is pleased to announce the following students as recipients of the club’s 2022 High School Scholarships in the amount of $1,000.00 each. The monetary award along with a Certificate of Recognition will be presented to the recipients during Zonta’s Annual Scholarship and Installation Banquet in May.
Kathleen R. May, daughter of Keri and John May of Sandusky, a Senior at Sandusky High School. Kathleen’s honors while attending SHS include being recognized as one of the top ten students in her graduation class, Principal’s Honor Roll; Captain’s Award, Coach’s Award and MVP Award for Varsity Golf; Sophomore Leadership award in A Capella Choir; OMEA District Honors Choir; ACT 30 Point Club; 30 Quality Point Club; National Honor Society Secretary/Treasurer. Community and high school activities include Boys and Girls Club; Impact Leadership Seminar; Ohio Model United National Council/Vice President; Ohio Leadership Institute Leadership Training Conference; A Capella Choir (86th, 87th, 88th) Librarian (10) and President (12); SHS Choral Dept Musical; SHS Varsity Golf/Captain (12); Sandus-Keynotes and Bell Choir; Superintendent’s Executive Leadership Academy; SHS Drama Club; Unified Students of Sandusky; SHS Global Internship Experience; SHS Academic Challenge Team. Kathleen plans to attend Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, majority in Secondary Education and Mathematics. Congratulations Kathleen!
Alexa E. Samstag, daughter of Elizabeth and Jason Samstag of Huron, a Senior at Sandusky Central Catholic High School. Alexa’s honors while attending SCCHS include All Conference, All District, Offensive MVP and Captain for volleyball; set six school records in volleyball; Homecoming Queen; Student of the Month by Lions Club, Kiwanis Club and Rotary Club. Community and high school activities include volunteer at Firelands Hospital, Red Cross and Northshore Volleyball Club; volleyball, cheerleading, Team Leadership Corps, National Honor Society, National Arts Honor Society, House Group President, Smile Support Squad. Alexa plans to attend Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, majoring in psychology and neuroscience. Congratulations Alexa!
Abigail E. Stine, daughter of Denise and Roger Stine of Norwalk, a Senior at Norwalk St. Paul High School. Abigail’s honors while attending SPHS include 1st Honors (9-12); Academic Letter (9-12); Most Improved (9) and Coach’s Award (11) in Varsity Track; First Chair Clarinet (9-12) Marching and Concert Band; Band Secretary (10-12); Class Secretary (12). Community and high school activities include Eucharistic Minister (11-12); Altar Server (9-10); Kairos Team Leader (11-12); Steubenville Youth Conference (9,11, 12); Souls4Souls Shoe Drive (12); Drug Free Clubs of America (9-12); Norwalk Area Food Bank (9-12); Class Act Dance Studio; National Honors Society (11-12); Volleyball; Cross Country; Northshore Volleyball Club; Prom Committee; Pep Band. Abigail will be attending Heidelberg University in Tiffin, Ohio, majoring in BioChemistry. Congratulations Abigail!
Elle L. Whelan, daughter of Brandy Whelan and Conor Whelan of Sandusky, a Senior at Sandusky High School. Elle’s honors while attending SHS include being recognized as one of the top ten students in her graduation class, Perfect Attendance Award (9-12); Scholar-Athlete Award (9-12); Principal’s Honor Roll (9-12); set school record for pole vault; Most Improved Award in track; Captain’s Award in swimming (11-12); All-American Academic Award for swimming. Community and high school activities include 4-H Club/President; volunteering with American Red Cross, visiting homeless shelter, Victory Kitchen, OHgo, Serving Our Seniors; 3-sport athlete in Varsity Volleyball, Varsity Track and Varsity Swim; Student Council/Vice President; National Honor Society; Global Internship Program; Superintendent’s Leadership Academy. Elle will be attending Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, majoring in Energy Engineering. Congratulations Elle!
Please visit here to read the news release.
2023 Zonta International Women in STEM Scholarship
In 2019 and 2021, Zonta International was pleased to support the Zonta International Women in Technology Scholarships to encourage women to pursue education, career opportunities and leadership roles in information technology. In June 2022, the Zonta International membership voted to continue the program with an expanded focus on all STEM fields, not only technology. With this change, the Zonta International Board approved a name change and will offer the Zonta International Women in STEM Scholarship for the third cycle of the scholarship program.
The program operates at the Zonta club, district/region and international levels. Each Zonta district/region may submit one applicant for consideration for an international scholarship. A single candidate from each of Zonta’s 31 districts and one region will receive an award of US$5,000 from Zonta International.
2023 – Women in STEM Scholarship – Application
2023 – Women in STEM Scholarship – Description
Women of any age, pursuing a program in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) at an accredited university/college/institute, who demonstrate outstanding potential in the field and are living or studying in a Zonta district/region, are eligible. Online students are also eligible to apply if enrolled at an accredited university/college/institute.
Students must be enrolled in at least the second year of an undergraduate program through the final year of a master’s program at the time the application is submitted to the local Zonta club. Applicants must be in school at the time the scholarship funds are disbursed and must not graduate before April 2024. Previous district and international Women in Technology Scholarship recipients may not apply for the Women in STEM Scholarship.
Club members and individuals with direct membership with Zonta International and employees of Zonta International and Zonta Foundation for Women, and their family members (ancestors, descendants, adoptees, siblings, nieces or cousins, and those of their spouse or co-habiting partner), are not eligible to apply for the Scholarship.
Golden Z club members are eligible to apply.
2022 Jane M. Klausman
Women in Business Scholarship
2023 information will be posted soon.
2021 JMK Women in Business Scholarship
Grace L. Gillen – Norwalk
Ohio Northern University
The Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarships is awarded to undergraduate women entering careers seeking leadership positions in business. The program ultimately seeks to influence business decisions that positively affect women by increasing the number of women in executive positions in the field of business management. Zonta International offers 37 international scholarships of US$5,000 each. Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky provides an award of US$500.00 with the recipient’s application submitted to the District level for consideration to be the District nominee for the international scholarships.
For more information about Grace and her future plans, please visit here. Congratulations Grace!
2022 – JMK Background and Statistics
2022 – Zonta International JMK Scholars
2022 Non-Traditional Student Scholarship
2022-2023 – Non-Traditional Scholarship – Application
2022-2023 – Non-Traditional Scholarship – Poster – FINAL
DEADLINE: THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2022
2022 Non-Traditional Student Scholarship Recipient
Jill Guseman – Sandusky
Firelands Regional Medical Center School of Nursing
ELIGIBILITY: The Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky Non-Traditional Student Scholarship is awarded to a
female student from Erie, Huron, Ottawa or Sandusky Counties in Ohio returning to
the classroom after some period of time in which her formal education was interrupted.
The female student must be enrolled in a 2-4 year undergraduate degree program
at a state or federal licensed college/university or vocational school.
Minimum age to apply for scholarship is 23 years.
Jill Guseman is a Senior Student at Firelands Regional Medical Center School of Nursing with an expected graduation date of May 2023. She will be a registered Nurse upon completing the 3-year RN program and passing her NCLEX. Ms. Guseman has returned to school after a long time off, to pursue her passion for Nursing. She states she “Simply cannot wait to be a Nurse!” During her schooling at FRMCSON through BGSU Firelands, she has been honored on the Dean’s List. She is an active member on the Student Welfare Committee and the Student Senate. This year she was the recipient of the Joanne M. Schaffer (McFadden) Scholarship and has also received a number of nominations for star performer at the School of Nursing. She has been active as a volunteer in various community events, with her favorite being helping the Victory Kitchen. Upon completing her formal education, Ms. Guseman plans to work locally as an RN, then pursue her dream of travel Nursing. Congratulations Jill!
2023 Amelia Earhart Fellowship
Globally, women make up around 25 percent of the workforce in the aerospace industry. In an effort to carry out its mission that women have access to all resources and are represented in decision-making positions on an equal basis with men, Zonta International offers the Amelia Earhart Fellowship.
The Amelia Earhart Fellowship was established in 1938 in honor of famed pilot and Zontian, Amelia Earhart. The US$10,000 Fellowship is awarded annually to up to 30 women pursuing Ph.D./doctoral degrees in aerospace engineering and space sciences. It may be used at any university or college offering accredited post-graduate courses and degrees in these fields.
Since the program’s inception in 1938, Zonta has awarded 1,704 Amelia Earhart Fellowships, totaling more than US$11.3 million, to 1,275 women from 76 countries.
Our Fellows have gone on to become astronauts, aerospace engineers, astronomers, professors, geologists, business owners, heads of companies, even Secretary of the US Air Force.
2023 AE Fellowship Poster
AE Fellowship Application (For Preparation Purposes Only)
AE Fellowship Map
AE Fellowship School List
AE Fellowship Statistics and Program Overview
AE Fellowship Verification of Current Enrollment Form
DEADLINE: TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2022 | PASSED
Women of any nationality pursuing a Ph.D./doctoral degree who demonstrate a superior academic record conducting research applied to aerospace engineering or space sciences are eligible. It is imperative that students be registered in a full-time Ph.D./doctoral program and have completed at least one year of that program or have received a master’s degree in an aerospace-applied field at the time the application is submitted. Applicants must not graduate from their Ph.D. or doctoral program before April 2024. Please note that post-doctoral research programs are not eligible for the Fellowship. Club members and individuals with direct membership with Zonta International and employees of Zonta International and Zonta Foundation for Women, and their family members (ancestors, descendants, adoptees, siblings, nieces or cousins, and those of their spouse or co-habiting partner), are not eligible to apply for the Fellowship. Note that previous Amelia Earhart Fellows are not eligible to apply to renew the Fellowship for a second year.
All applications must be completed in English and submitted using the online application form at https://zontainternational.awardspring.com/. You may use the Amelia Earhart Fellowship document in PDF for preparation purposes only. The Zonta International Amelia Earhart Fellowship Committee reviews the applications and recommends recipients to the Zonta International Board. All applicants are evaluated on the criteria stated in the requirements section of the application. All details of the evaluations are kept confidential; evaluations are not disclosed to applicants. All applicants will be notified of their status by the end of April 2023.
The 2023 Amelia Earhart Fellowship application is now available – see links above. DEADLINE: TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2022 | PASSED
2022 Zonta International AE Fellows | 2022 AE Fellows’ Bios
Buckeye Girls State
We support a local representative of Buckeye Girls State each year.
Donating Time, Funds and Support
Safe Harbor Domestic Violence Shelter
Stein Hospice Camp Good Grief
Buddy Benches for local schools