Awards & Scholarships available through Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky, Zonta International District 5 and Zonta International:
- In coordination with Zonta International and Zonta International District 5, Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky provides an award to Young Women in Public Affairs. Recipient must reside in Erie, Huron or Ottawa County, Ohio, studying at a secondary school, college or university. The recipient of the local club’s award is then submitted to the District for consideration for the District award with the recipient of the District award then submitted for consideration for one of ten international awards. The award amounts: Club Award – $250.00; District 5 Award – $1,500.00; Zonta International Awards – $5,000.00 each. DEADLINE: TUESDAY, MARCH 15, 2022
- Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky awards up to four college scholarships – $1,000.00 each – each year to Erie, Huron and Ottawa County, Ohio, high school female seniors planning to major in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) education or various fields of medicine who meet high academic standards. DEADLINE: THURSDAY, MARCH 31, 2022
- Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky awards a non-traditional adult woman returning to an accredited school to upgrade her education for a better career. The Non-Traditional Scholarship is for any woman who is minimum 23 years of age and resides in Erie, Huron, Ottawa or Sandusky counties in Ohio.
- In coordination with Zonta International and Zonta International District 5, Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky provides scholarships for young women going into the business field – The Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship. The program was established to encourage women to enter careers and to seek leadership positions in business. The program ultimately seeks to influence business decisions that positively affect women in executive positions in the field of business management. The Club finalist will be submitted to District 5 for consideration and then if selected as the district scholarship recipient, she will be submitted to Zonta International to be considered for one of six scholarships. The award amounts: District 5 Scholarship – $2,000.00; Zonta International Scholarships – $8,000.00 each.
- Zonta International supports the Women in Technology Scholarship to encourage women to pursue education, career opportunities and leadership roles in information technology. The Women in Technology Scholarships are awarded to women of any age and nationality, pursuing an information technology (IT) degree at an accredited university/college/institute, who demonstrate outstanding potential in the field. Online students may also apply if they meet the same requirements as outlined in the application. Zonta International will offer up to 20 scholarships of $8,000.00 each.
2022 Young Women in Public Affairs (YWPA)
The goal of the YWPA award program is to encourage more young women to participate in public affairs by recognizing the student’s commitment to the volunteer sector, evidence of volunteer leadership achievements and a dedication to empowering women and girls worldwide through service and advocacy.
2022 Club-level Award Recipient: Elle L. Whelan – Sandusky High School
Committed to attending Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, Elle will be majoring in Energy Engineering with her long-term goals to help make a change in the way we live by not only advocating for sustainability, but also expanding the use of renewable energy. Thus, she will play a part in preserving the planet for generations to come. Her leadership roles include president of the 4-H club, vice-president of the student council and captain of the varsity swim team. Elle also has organized a multitude of volunteer activities as well as participated in community service events such as cleaning up local parks, visiting local retirement homes, teaching swim lessons, coaching biddy volleyball, reading to elementary schools, American Red Cross blood drives, visiting the homeless shelter and many donations of food and clothes to Victory Kitchen. Congratulations and Good Luck Elle!
Please visit here to read the news release.
2022 High School Scholarship
To be consistent with Zonta’s goals, the high school scholarships
are awarded to graduating seniors – young women –
who will be attending a college or university majoring
in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics field
or in various fields of medicine.
2022 High School Scholarship Recipients:
Fifteen applications were received from Bellevue, Edison, Norwalk, Norwalk St. Paul, Perkins, Sandusky, Sandusky Central Catholic and Vermilion High Schools. Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky is pleased to announce the following students as recipients of the club’s 2022 High School Scholarships in the amount of $1,000.00 each. The monetary award along with a Certificate of Recognition will be presented to the recipients during Zonta’s Annual Scholarship and Installation Banquet in May.
Kathleen R. May, daughter of Keri and John May of Sandusky, a Senior at Sandusky High School. Kathleen’s honors while attending SHS include being recognized as one of the top ten students in her graduation class, Principal’s Honor Roll; Captain’s Award, Coach’s Award and MVP Award for Varsity Golf; Sophomore Leadership award in A Capella Choir; OMEA District Honors Choir; ACT 30 Point Club; 30 Quality Point Club; National Honor Society Secretary/Treasurer. Community and high school activities include Boys and Girls Club; Impact Leadership Seminar; Ohio Model United National Council/Vice President; Ohio Leadership Institute Leadership Training Conference; A Capella Choir (86th, 87th, 88th) Librarian (10) and President (12); SHS Choral Dept Musical; SHS Varsity Golf/Captain (12); Sandus-Keynotes and Bell Choir; Superintendent’s Executive Leadership Academy; SHS Drama Club; Unified Students of Sandusky; SHS Global Internship Experience; SHS Academic Challenge Team. Kathleen plans to attend Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, majority in Secondary Education and Mathematics. Congratulations Kathleen!
Alexa E. Samstag, daughter of Elizabeth and Jason Samstag of Huron, a Senior at Sandusky Central Catholic High School. Alexa’s honors while attending SCCHS include All Conference, All District, Offensive MVP and Captain for volleyball; set six school records in volleyball; Homecoming Queen; Student of the Month by Lions Club, Kiwanis Club and Rotary Club. Community and high school activities include volunteer at Firelands Hospital, Red Cross and Northshore Volleyball Club; volleyball, cheerleading, Team Leadership Corps, National Honor Society, National Arts Honor Society, House Group President, Smile Support Squad. Alexa plans to attend Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, majoring in psychology and neuroscience. Congratulations Alexa!
Abigail E. Stine, daughter of Denise and Roger Stine of Norwalk, a Senior at Norwalk St. Paul High School. Abigail’s honors while attending SPHS include 1st Honors (9-12); Academic Letter (9-12); Most Improved (9) and Coach’s Award (11) in Varsity Track; First Chair Clarinet (9-12) Marching and Concert Band; Band Secretary (10-12); Class Secretary (12). Community and high school activities include Eucharistic Minister (11-12); Altar Server (9-10); Kairos Team Leader (11-12); Steubenville Youth Conference (9,11, 12); Souls4Souls Shoe Drive (12); Drug Free Clubs of America (9-12); Norwalk Area Food Bank (9-12); Class Act Dance Studio; National Honors Society (11-12); Volleyball; Cross Country; Northshore Volleyball Club; Prom Committee; Pep Band. Abigail will be attending Heidelberg University in Tiffin, Ohio, majoring in BioChemistry. Congratulations Abigail!
Elle L. Whelan, daughter of Brandy Whelan and Conor Whelan of Sandusky, a Senior at Sandusky High School. Elle’s honors while attending SHS include being recognized as one of the top ten students in her graduation class, Perfect Attendance Award (9-12); Scholar-Athlete Award (9-12); Principal’s Honor Roll (9-12); set school record for pole vault; Most Improved Award in track; Captain’s Award in swimming (11-12); All-American Academic Award for swimming. Community and high school activities include 4-H Club/President; volunteering with American Red Cross, visiting homeless shelter, Victory Kitchen, OHgo, Serving Our Seniors; 3-sport athlete in Varsity Volleyball, Varsity Track and Varsity Swim; Student Council/Vice President; National Honor Society; Global Internship Program; Superintendent’s Leadership Academy. Elle will be attending Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, majoring in Energy Engineering. Congratulations Elle!
Please visit here to read the news release.
2022 Jane M. Klausman
Women in Business Scholarship
2022 information to be posted soon!
2021 JMK Women in Business Scholarship
Grace L. Gillen – Norwalk
Ohio Northern University
The Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarships is awarded to undergraduate women entering careers seeking leadership positions in business. The program ultimately seeks to influence business decisions that positively affect women by increasing the number of women in executive positions in the field of business management. Zonta International offers up to 32 scholarships of $2,000 each at the district level and six international scholarships in the amount of $8,000 each.
For more information about Grace and her future plans, please visit here. Congratulations Grace!
2022 Non-Traditional Student Scholarship
2022 information to be posted soon!
2021 Non-Traditional Student Scholarship Recipient – Tamie Rippon
The Zonta Club of Greater Sandusky Non-Traditional Student Scholarship is awarded to a
female student from Erie, Huron, Ottawa or Sandusky Counties in Ohio returning to
the classroom after some period of time in which her formal education was interrupted.
The female student must be enrolled in a 2-4 year undergraduate degree program
at a state or federal licensed college/university or vocational school.
Minimum age to apply for scholarship is 23 years.
For more information about Tamie and her future plans, please visit here! Congratulations Tamie!
2021 Women in Technology Scholarship
The world economy continues to leverage and build upon the digital revolution, and industry is becoming critically dependent on information technology. Further, these developments are increasingly disrupting society and familiar social processes. Women, however, are still largely underrepresented in decisions as they relate to information technology and how they impact our world now and into the future. To create a world in which men and women have equal opportunities, women need to have an active role in the field of information technology and access to leadership roles such as chief information officers (CIOs) and chief technology officers (CTOs). Zonta International is pleased to support the Zonta International Women in Technology Scholarship to encourage women to pursue education, career opportunities and leadership roles in information technology.
Women of any age and nationality, pursing an IT degree at an accredited
university/college/institute; demonstrated initiative, ambition and commitment
to pursuing a career in IT; enrolled by October 15, 2021, in at least the second year
of an undergraduate program through the final year of a post-graduate
program at the time application is submitted; must be in school at the time
scholarship funds are disbursed and must not graduate before April 2022.
See additional information included on application form.
Applicants apply directly to Zonta International.
The Zonta International Women in Technology Scholarship Committee reviews
applications and recommends up to 20 recipients to the Zonta International Board.
All applicants will be notified of their status by the end of April 2022.
The 2021 Zonta International Women in Technology Scholarship application
MUST be submitted by October 15, 2021 to be considered.
2021 – Women in Technology – Application – For Preparation Purposes ONLY
Hard copy and e-mail applications WILL NOT be accepted.
All applications submitted MUST be completed in English and
submitted by using the Zonta International online application form here.
Buckeye Girls State
We support a local representative of Buckeye Girls State each year.
Donating Time, Funds and Support
Safe Harbor Domestic Violence Shelter
Stein Hospice Camp Good Grief
Buddy Bench for local schools